Section I Vocabulary
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1. (10 points)
Oil is an important ______material which can be processed into many different products, including plastics.
A raw B bleak C flexible D fertile
The high living standards of the US cause its present population to ____ 25 percent of the world’s oil.
A assume B consume C resume D presume
3. You shouldn’t be so ___ ---I didn’t mean anything bad in what I said.
A sentimental B sensible C sensitive D sophisticated
4. Picasso was an artist who fundamentally changed the ___ of art for later generations.
A. philosophy B concept C viewpoint D theme
5. Member states had the option to ____ from this agreement with one year’s notice.
A deny B object C suspect D withdraw
6. The two countries achieved some progress in the sphere of trade relations, traditionally a source of ____ irritation.
A mutual B optional C neutral D parallel
7. Williams had not been there during the ___ moments when the kidnapping had taken place.
A superior B rigorous C vital D unique
8. Travel around Japan today, and one sees foreign residents a wide ____ of jobs.
A range B field C scale D area
9. Modern manufacturing has ___ a global river of materials into a stunning array of new products.
A translated B transformed C transferred D transported
10. Lightning has been the second largest storm killer in the US over the past 40 years and is ____ only by flood.
A exceeded B excelled C excluded D extended
11. Voices were ____as the argument between the two motorists became more bad-tempered.
swollen B. increased C. developed D. raised
12. Some sufferers will quickly be restored to prefect health, ___others will take a longer time.
A. which B. where C. when D. whereas
13. My brother likes eating very much but he isn’t very ___about the food he eats.
A. special B. peculiar C. particular D. unusual
14. Britain might still be part of France if it weren’t ____a disastrous flood 200.000 years ago, according to scientists from Imperial College in London.
A. upon B. with C. in D. for
15. The water prize is an international award that __outstanding contributions towards solving global water problems.
A. recognizes B. requires C. releases D. relays
16. In its 14 years of _????????____, the European Union has earned the scorn of its citizens and skepticism from the United States.
A. endurance B. emergence C. existence D. eminence
17. His excuse for being late this morning was his car had __ in the snow.
A. started up B. got stuck C. set back D. stood by
18.____widespread belief cockroaches (螳螂) would not take over the world if there were no around to step on them.
A. In view of B. Thanks to C. In case of D. Contrary to
19. Consciously or not, ordinary citizens and government bureaucrats still _____the notion that Japanese society is a unique culture.
A. fit in with B. look down on C. cling to D. hold back
20. As you can see by yourself, things ____to be exactly as the professor had foreseen.
A . turned in B. turned out C. turned up D. turned down