Section I Vocabulary (10 points)
There are 20 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and mark your answers on ANSWER SHEET 1.
21.The precious manuscripts were hopelessly by long exposure in the cold, damp cellar.
A.ruined B. damaged
C. destroyed D. harmed
22. the board of the company has decided to its operation to include all aspects of the clothing business.
A. extend B. enlarge
C. expand D. amplify
23.That sound doesn’t in his language, so it’s difficult for him to pronounce it .
A. happen B. occur
C. have D. take place
24. the accommodation was cheap, but the food was very .
A. high B. costly
C. dear D. overpaid/
25.My boss insists on seeing everything in before he makes a decision.
A. black and blue B. red and blue
C. black and white D. green and yellow
26. The work is not very profitable cash, but I am getting valuable experience from it.
A. in the light of B. according to
C. on the basis of D. in terms of
27. At the meeting ,Smith argued in favor of the proposal.
A. severely B. warmly
C. forcefully D. heavily
28. His attention often at lectures, No wonder he failed the exam.
A. branched B. wondered
C. wandered D. went out
29.It’s often a mistake to appearance: that poor-looking individual is anything but poor. In fact, he is a millionaire.
A. go over B. go by
C. go against D. go for
30. He doesn‘t seem to be able to any interest in his studies.
A. make up B. work up
C. turn up D. use up